Looking for a credible remodeling contractor can be a big pain. How can you streamline the process to find the perfect one for your home project? Here are some of our tips for selecting a remodeling contractor:
Ask for Referrals. Has a friend, neighbor, family member, or coworker recently worked with a professional contractor? Chances are that they can recommend which to hire and which to avoid. You can also ask them how their selection process went and what they wish they would have known before they began the project.
Find Professional Reviews. For professional reviews, check the Better Business Bureau and the local Home Builders Association (like the Central Minnesota Builders Association). Search online to check licenses, complaints, and litigation history. You can even ask potential contractors for references. Ask previous customers some questions:
- Why did you hire your contractor?
- Was the level of communication adequate during the project?
- What was your experience with the work crew?
- Were there any problems that came up during the project? If so, how were they handled?
- How would you rate your overall satisfaction with the job? Did they meet or exceed your expectations?
- Would you hire your contractor again? Would you recommend them to a friend, neighbor or family member?
Reputation Matters. A good contractor will come with a good reputation. You can find most information online through a few simple online searches, but you might not find out all you need to know. Some important factors in a contractor’s reputation include:
- Are they licensed, insured, and have necessary warranties?
- How long have they been in business?
- Are they known for professional and quality work that can carry out your vision on your budget?
- What percentage of their business is repeat or referral business?
- What services do they offer?
- Do they have effective communication?
- Do they have a reputable team?
Know what you want. If you have a clear vision and budget in place, it will be much easier to approach potential contractors and come away with a plan that will work for you. Once you hire a contractor, make sure to check the following things off your list: sign a detailed contract, negotiate ground rules, verify insurance coverage, and communicate frequently.
Hiring a contractor can be one of the most taxing parts of the remodeling process. Don’t let it throw a wrench in your plans. For all of your home improvement questions, visit MNHomeImprovements.com to begin working towards the project of your dreams.